NO2ID

NO2ID

NO2ID's ID Card & Database State Online Discussion Forum
This is a static snapshot / read-only version of the forum.

All times are UTC

Post subject: b2fxxx blog: CDB and the need for better technology ...
PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:49:20 +0000 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://b2fxxx.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/cd ... ology.html

Monday, February 18, 2013

CDB and the need for better technology narratives

I've had a response from my MP, Nicola Blackwood, to my email of 11 January, drawing her attention to the report of the Joint Select Committee on the Draft Communications Data Bill. Basically she tows the party line, repeating the Home Office spin which she appears to find convincing. I have further responded to Ms Blackwood this morning.

Academics and tech experts have to get better at explaining the realities of technology to policymakers. It is not just the politicians that are failing badly in this arena.

Even the Head of MI5 is on record as saying the snoopers' charter rests on "pretty heroic assumptions" yet the Home Office plows on with the same unchanging fictions because we can't get traction for a better, more accurate and nuanced narrative. Maybe we need a centre for the public understanding of and engagement with technology? Including a team of dedicated storytellers exclusively focused on educating policymakers and the public through better technology narratives.

A copy of the exchange with Ms Blackwood is below.

(NB: the letterd are posted in reverse chronological order, with the first one at the bottom)

Report this post