NO2ID

NO2ID

NO2ID's ID Card & Database State Online Discussion Forum

It is currently Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:05:34 +0000

All times are UTC

Post subject: Requesting removal opf profiles from NDNAD
PostPosted: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:42:09 +0000 
My son was recently found not guilty of an absolutely trivial offence, but regardless of its triviality he was arrested, DNAd and went through all the other humiliating and largely unnecessary police abuses that it all entails.

I would now like to request removal of his profiles. Is there a standard letter to be recommended? I guess you have to be careful with this, and not say anything to the Chief Constable to which he might take offence. After all, he can say no and doesn't have to justify his decision.

Any help gratefully received.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Requesting removal opf profiles from NDNAD
PostPosted: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:47:08 +0000 

Try here:
http://reclaimyourdna.org/
and more specifically
http://reclaimyourdna.org/reclaim

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:25:20 +0000 
So I sent the letter on behalf of my son (to Cleveland Police), using the recommended format of reclaimyourdna.org, and they rejected the request. Their reply was just one long waffle about the samples being lawfully taken and how they, the police, must consider curent legislation. However, they did not say something along the lines of "sorry but we're not deleting it", they just hedged around it, but making clear they weren't for accepting my request. the reply came from Cleveland Police data protection officer, not from the Chief Constable, to whom I'd addressed the letter.

So what next? the reclaimyourdna website doesn't have much about follow-up action, so any advice about where to go now would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:26:08 +0000 

Have you checked here:
http://reclaimyourdna.org/what-happens-next/

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 20:03:06 +0000 
Hi

Could I ask whether the letter on the 'reclaim your dna' website, which makes reference to the European Court of Justice ruling remains up to date and appropriate? I can't really tell from the website itself when the letter was most recently checked for continued appropriateness.

My interpretation of the Protections of Freedoms bill is that DNA profiles will be removed after three years for those for whom no further action was taken following arrest (i.e. the matter was dropped). I imagine this should pass (I hope! It seems unlikely that it won't now that its so far along the way) the House of Lords in the spring sometime. Given this, and the fact that by the time this bill might pass it should have been three years since the arrest, am I better off waiting until then?

Or should I do one now, and then one later once the bill and 3 year limit has passed, after the probable rejection of the first?

Its the Met, and the alleged offence was non-violent.

One more question, does it matter what the borough in London was where the arrest was made? The Reclaim your DNA data only gives the Met as an option for London.

Regards

Peter

Report this post